Skip to main content

Vampires are just Dead Mosquitos

So, Jefferson is picking up English pretty well. He understands quite a bit, all things considered. But, most of his English words are "catch phrases."
 
When strangers say hello to him at the store or at church, he generally yells back (he likes yelling), "Happy Birthday!" or "Halloween, Halloween, Trick or Treat!" Jefferson's friendly like that, you're talking to me in that weird language so I'll say something back to you in that weird language. 
 
While he learned about Halloween from Dora the Explorer, most of his other phrases come from repeating Steven. Jefferson even spent one afternoon with his arm shoved into his sleeve trying to copy the way Steven does things with his short arm. Steven is incredibly cool (just ask his sisters), so we totally understand the urge to copy him and instead of learning the boring words Mom and Dad are trying to teach you. Because of this, Jefferson's most common phrases are, "Happy Daddy," "Happy Birthday," "No Thank You Mommy," "Legoland," and "Hi-Ya!" Really useful stuff.
 
But, Jefferson's not the one guy making us smile with his one-liners and catch phrases. The kids are so funny at this age, and we love writing all these things down so we can remember how smart and funny they are. Here are a few of our recent favorites.
 
Eleanor: The pioneers are me and Adelaide's grand-cestors.
 
Eleanor: I don't like the cheese today.
Melinda: But it's the Gouda you picked out at the store.
Eleanor: It doesn't taste good-a to me.
 
Adelaide: Steven is so cool, I just want to give him a man bun.
 
Eleanor: I don't like the soup. Because, when I stir it, it looks like the fire of Maleficent.
(It was split pea)
 
Eleanor: Did you know when somebody works really hard to make the dinner, its not nice to tell them it doesn't taste good, even if it doesn't. That's why I'm not going to tell you.
 
Eleanor: Adelaide, when I grow up, I'm going to live with Mommy and Daddy. But, when they die, I'm going to live with you.
 
Steven: I Monster Boy!
Me: Really?
Steven: Yeah!
Me: Why are you monster boy?
Steven: Because of the.... grrrr! grrr!
 
Eleanor: Are vampires dead mosquitos?
 
Steven: It's Maui Time! I need hook.
Me: You need a hook?
Steven: Yeah!
Me: Why do you need a hook?
Steven: Hi-ya stuff.

Comments